I have been working as a doula since 1995. As I worked as a doula and gained experience, I naturally started to meet more and more doulas and act as a mentor to them. I love it. Mentorship always gives as much to the mentor as the mentee. It’s an opportunity to reflect on my own practice as I help others find their way through theirs.
My enjoyment of mentoring doulas led me to become approved as a DONA Birth Doula Trainer in 2005. I have trained over 700 doulas since then.
I offer three DONA International-Approved Birth Doula Workshops each year at The Mothering Touch Centre in Victoria.
In 2023, I will be offering two Hybrid Birth Doula Workshops (also DONA-International-Approved) on Zoom with 2 1/2 days of in-person training at the South Community Birth Program in Vancouver. The Hybrid/Vancouver Workshops will be co-taught with Jalana Grant AdvCD(DONA), BDT(DONA, LCCE and Director of Doula Programs at SCBP.
I can accommodate up to 18 participants in each of the workshops. There is one spot in each workshop which is reserved for a low-income doula-to-be who would like to trade their work as the snacks-and-tea coordinator for part of the fee. Full bursaries are also available for Black People, Indigenous People, and People of Colour.
My doula workshop is process-focussed and interactive. It allows time for participants to discuss and work through their beliefs, values, and assumptions about childbirth, about childbearing parents, and about doulas.
This 27-hour workshop includes THREE of the requirements for Birth Doula Certification by DONA International:
- Introduction to Childbirth for Doulas – 7 hours
- Birth Doula Workshop – 18 hours
- Breastfeeding Workshop – 3 hours
Topics covered will include:
- Anatomy and physiology of childbirth
- The stages of labour
- Labour – a physical and emotional process
- How the history of childbirth, systemic racism, and inter-generational trauma inform the work of the doula
- Common medical interventions in childbirth
- Labour support techniques – How to help the labouring parent
- Hands-on practice of comfort measures
- Listening and communication skills
- Pre and post-natal visits – What a doula covers when meeting with a client
- Breastfeeding – A partnership between the lactating parent, the baby, the breast and the doula
- Your doula business – how to get clients and what to do when you get them!
- Meet the doulas – established local doulas will come and talk about their experiences working in Victoria
- How to achieve certification with DONA International – the World’s Premier Doula Association
Please read it before the workshop. This will give you the background information that you need to get the most out of the workshop.
The Birth Partner by Penny Simkin (latest edition) is the manual for the Birth Doula Training Workshop. You must own a copy and bring it to the workshop.
We would also like you to read either
The Mother of All Pregnancy Books (2011) by Ann Douglas
Pregnancy, Childbirth and The Newborn, The Complete Guide (2016) by Penny Simkin, Janet Whalley and Ann Keppler before the workshop begins.
- The Fee for the Workshop is $600 – payable at time of registration
- The fee includes snacks and handouts during the in-person workshop, but does NOT include the books for the required pre-reading.
- There is one spot in each workshop which is reserved for a low-income doula-to-be who would like to trade their work as the snacks-and-tea coordinator for part of the fee.
- Full bursaries are available for Black People, Indigenous People, and People of Colour.
Upcoming Birth Doula Workshops
At the Mothering Touch Centre – 733 Johnson Street, Victoria, BC
March 3-6 – Friday to Monday – 8:30am-5:30pm
June 30 – July 3 – Friday to Monday – 8:30am-5:30pm
November 10-13 – Friday to Monday – 8:30am-5:30pm
Register via the Mothering Touch Website
At the South Community Birth Program – 1193 Kingsway, Vancouver, BC
March 30 to April 30 – Four Thursday evenings on Zoom (March 30, April 5, 13, 20) and April 28-30 In-Person. See Detailed Schedule Here.
November 2-December 3 – Four Thursday evenings on Zoom (Nov 2, 9, 16, 23) and December 1-3 In-Person. CANCELLED!! Please contact Eva (firstname.lastname@example.org) for information about training in 2024.
Refund Policy: Once your payment has been processed, a refund of the course fee, minus a 15% administrative fee, may be possible until two weeks before the beginning of the course. No refunds will be issued after that date. If you are unable to attend the workshop, you can transfer your registration to a future session of the course, or transfer your registration to another person.
Are you a doula who has done their initial training and now needs some support in achieving certification, or setting up your business, or getting through some of the challenges of supporting families? Please reach out to me via eva at evabild.ca. I would be happy to chat. If you need a longer, more formalized relationship, to receive ongoing support, we can set something up. I look forward to hearing from you.
Would you like to host a Birth Doula Workshop in your community? Contact me – I would be happy to work with you to make it happen! Contact me via eva at evabild.ca to discuss!